Friday, 15 January 2016

Wedding Series #1 - An overview

Holy shit i'm getting married in 6 months. 12th August 2016 will see me become a wife.

So with that said I thought it would be really nice to start documenting the wedding preparations. You spend months planning, spend lots of money and then boom its over in a flash so it will be great to have something to look back on.

When we got engaged I didn't really have much desire to actually get married.sounds strange, but after buying our house and having a baby within a year of each other I wanted to take it slowly. but with each "have you set a date" question that was thrown at us, I started to get wedding fever.

We started looking at venues with 2017 in our minds, time to save, the more sensible option but of course us being us we ended up booking with less than a year to go until the big day!

Our venue is a beautiful country estate in our local town of Tunbridge Wells. with sprawling grounds, beautiful views and a range of stunning rooms exclusively for us we couldn't have picked a more beautiful setting.  We never thought it would be in our price range so were shocked when it came well within budget. personally I think they are selling themselves short! from the get go, we knew we wanted a summer wedding and we will be getting married outside. even if its raining!

Freddie checking out the view.  We will marry under the balcony at the top of the stairs.
I knew straight away I wanted a cool, relaxed, festival-esque style of day, and that's exactly what we are having. We have chosen corals and blues as our theme, something a bit different and so beautiful all together.  I was really unsure what colours to go for and kept changing my mind, the bridesmaid dresses gave me corals and pinks but the florist was amazing and showed me what other colours would compliment and look good. If you are struggling to pick colours I would really recommend talking to a florist!

I ordered my bridesmaid dresses months ago.  I had no desire for taffeta, satin, or traditional bridesmaid dresses and I fell in love with some stunning dresses from high street store Oasis.  I bought them in July, which was a bit risky but they went in the sale for almost half price! trying to keep within budget is tricky, so I was thrilled, every little helps! I want to try and keep some secrets, so I cant wait to share them after the big day, they are so cool and so different from the norm. Plus, my bridesmaids look absolutely stunning in them! I really think high street is the way to go when looking for the perfect bridesmaid dress, just so many gorgeous choices. Highly recommend heading straight to Asos!

I really want to make sure our day is personal to us,. I have spent hours hunting down unusual favours, table decorations etc and I think our guests will be pleasantly surprised. Don't get me wrong, as much as I am loving all of the planning and ensuring everyone has a great day, I wouldn't care if I got married in a black sack at the local registry. As long as I am Mr P's wife at the end, I will be more than happy. 

There are two things that will play big parts in our wedding.  years ago, I was given a book of quotes, passages and poems about love, over the years I have folded over pages of my favourite ones, lots that now appear regularly on pinterest and some are bit more obscure and our guests can expect to see lots of them.  Our table numbers are my favourite, each table is named after a famous poet, author, movie, actor etc followed by their beautiful quotes. I cant believe years of reading them and now they will be used at my wedding, I always hoped I would find the love it described, and I have. (I know, pass the sick bucket.)

The other thing that will make an appearance is our joint love of Harry Potter.  I am a crazy potterhead (not ashamed to admit it!)  I have read the books more time's than I can count and they mean so much to me, those books have got me through some shit times in my life.  When Chris and I first got together we used to always binge watch HP, they were some of our happiest times, just chilling, getting to know each other and because my surname sounds like 'magic', so the connotations just go on.  The harry Potter details will be understated, for example I will be having a rose within my bouquet made of my favourite HP book, which  I think is just so lovely and I am particularly excited for the cake reveal!

It is also going to be a big floral affair. Our wedding flowers are just so beautiful, I absolutely love flowers, the more the better! within reason, blimey the cost of wedding flowers *faints*.

Some of my favourite pins
I still need to finish my dress plans, hire chairs, pick up a few more decorations, signs etc, Oh and I am still trying to find a wedding singer and decide on favours... BUT the suits are done, make up and hair is booked and I cannot wait to go shopping for Freddie's outfit. Oh and Hen and Stag do's are sorted! chris is off for a weekend away (gulp) and i'm off to the races! and no doubt the traditional tacky night out with willy straws and a trip to the spa.

Our plans of a fun, relaxed wedding, drinking pimms and playing croquet on the lawn are coming together and I cannot wait for our special day. to celebrate our love together and to become Mrs P.

Handmade sign for Freddie to carry down the isle. fingers crossed he cooperates!
So before I give anymore away, I thought I would share one of my favourite quotes. I made our save the dates, and decided to put a snippet of the quote on the back and I got so many lovely comments on it.  It's a popular one from the Chaos of Stars and it is just so beautiful. (I need to get my thesaurus out, i've said beautiful way too many times in this post, whoops!)

“I didn't fall in love with you. I walked into love with you, with my eyes wide open, choosing to take every step along the way. I do believe in fate and destiny, but I also believe we are only fated to do the things that we'd choose anyway. And I'd choose you; in a hundred lifetimes, in a hundred worlds, in any version of reality, I'd find you and I'd choose you”
Kiersten White,
The Chaos of Stars



1 comment:

  1. It seems like you have a great start on planning your wedding. I'm in love with your venue option, so keep your readers posted if you confirm this option. As far as your decor ideas go, I think you will easily achieve a classic, festival style event. Looking forward to seeing the rest of your ideas. Good luck with the final plans!

    Earl White @ Salon 241

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my latest post! I would love to hear all your comments, or you can email me at mrpbabyandme@gmail.com or facebook me, tweet me... whatever takes your fancy!