Tuesday, 7 June 2016

Freddie William at 18 months



 Freddie turned 18 months old on 16th May, so this is a tad late but I don't think I have been ready to face having an 18 month old! We are in full on toddler zone now! Timehop has been putting me through the emotional ringer recently, seeing my 6 month old squish a year ago, and my baby bump 2 years ago! Time has flown, and as much as my heart aches for one more newborn snuggle, the adventures with a toddler are better than I ever could have imagined, Harder, of course but absolutely wonderful and seeing him grow is so exciting. So here you are, Freddie William at 18 months old.

Eating
Freddie is in no way a foodie, he loves his fruit and he likes meat but he really isn't that fussed about anything carby and filling, I have to get quite creative to engage him in eating.  He had been allowed sweet things since he turned one, white chocolate buttons, ice cream etc but after becoming quite demanding over them, and the effect they definitely had on his behavior, they have all been completely withdrawn for almost 2 weeks now and he isn't missing them one bit, he isn't expecting 'a treat' and is quite happy tucking into something healthier and more substantial instead, I feel a bit mean, he did love a choccy button but I have been making lots of healthy yummy 'sweet' treats which he enjoys a lot more so I am pleased with the decision we made.  We wont be those parents who make their child have an apple at Halloween though, we will re introduce these things when he is old enough to understand the 'concept'. Every day he is coming on leaps and bounds with his eating, he is slowly becoming more interested and is trying new flavours and things all the time.  This month he has learned to love, mama's homemade burgers, sausages, carrots and potato. He still has a bottle of milk at night and first thing in the morning although these are becoming less frequent with each passing week.

Sleeping
A big leap Freddie has made in his 18th month of life, was going from a cot to a bed.  This was probably sooner than we would have liked, but he literally busted out the side of his cot, the bars actually fell out! My nanny bought the cot for me when I was born, so it is 23 years old and has slept 7 children.  It did well!  The transition into a bed has not been completely smooth sailing, since the introduction of the bed he has only napped in the day once.  However I am not sure if this is a coincidence as I believe it is not uncommon for toddlers his age to go through a phase of not napping in the day.  I am praying this is true, my house is starting resemble a farmyard barn.  I need my two hours house work time back!  Freddie loves his bed to play on, read on and snuggle in.  And although is sleeping much better in the bed, he is still waking in the night. yep that's right, at 18 months old our little darling has still never slept through the night and still seeks asylum in our bed at around 2/3 am.  Although exhausting sometimes, I know it wont last forever, we are trying just to, not ignore, but just look past the issue and not turn it into a fight.  We will get there in the end.  And I love love love the snuggly sleepy cuddles, he is usually far to busy for! The silver lining however is Fred is not an early riser, He always sleeps in until 8:30/9am.



Routine
Our daily routine is pretty relaxed now, we split our day into two and always plan something for the morning and afternoon, whether that be out somewhere or a planned activities indoors.  Now I am working two days a week Freddie really understands the difference between a 'mummy' day (Mon, Tues & Weds) and gets so excited when I tell him it's a Grannie day (Thurs & Fri).  He is so lucky to go to my mums the 2 days I work, he always has so much fun, he attends the local toddler group to my mum on a Friday morning which he loves and they always fill their days with dog walks and generally spoiling Freddie rotten, just like grandparents do. On Mondays we do swimming lessons and I am hoping to find him a activity club like Toddler gymnastics or something as he is so so active.


Development
I have been so excited to write this bit! This is by far the biggest thing with Freddie; his development is just incredible.  I cannot get over the difference between a 16 month old an 18 month old.  I have been told Freddie is ahead of himself according to my mum I was the same and the fact he does everything at 100mph this doesn't surprise me!  His talking is just amazing, he will copy any word you say, most are recognisable and even if they aren't he gives them a bloody good bash.  He is putting sentences and phrases together, his favourites being - Where is it, Who is that, Where is he (usually referring to grandad) and oh look a ... - his little voice is so cute too.  He can say so many words now it is making parenting so so much easier! He can tell me what he wants, what he needs and what he doesn't, which is making life so much easier. Especially helpful when he asks for food and 'jooce'! He always says 'Ta' or 'Thankyou' when you give him something, you can tell i'm big on manners! He literally does not stop talking from the moment he opens his eyes until the moment he goes to sleep. wonderful, but makes my head spin!

He is also very keen on the potty.  We are not training him yet, but he himself will tell me he needs a wee or a poo and will ask for the potty. he has done countless wees and a few number 2's on the potty already.  However, some days he seems to have no idea what a potty is, so we are just letting him have a go when he fancy's, not asking or persuading him. just letting him do his thing, he is in no way 100% ready yet, but I do think he will perhaps by the time he turns 2.

He can do lots of other things that amaze me, he can undress himself which can sometimes be problematic haha, He can climb into his Tripp Trapp chair and do up the buckle, this really shocked me and I thought I had amnesia for about 3 days thinking I had totally mind blanked putting him into and clipping him into his high chair!

He is so physically able now and very sturdy with his walking, running and climbing, he is going to give me a mini heart attack for sure, such a dare devil.

He knows his numbers up to 3 and can point out letters in his name but is yet to show any interest in colours.

He has learnt a lot recently about empathy, and is understanding when something isn't the right thing to do and is really testing the boundaries now! This kid, although luckily pretty rare, can through a serious tantrum. Big enough tantrum to get me fast tracked to the front of the queue in Asda, oh the shame!


Favourites
  •  Loves loading and loading the washing machine - Everytime you say 'can you put that in' he says 'yep'. actually, ask him anything and he loves to answer 'Yep' really enthusiastically, its so cute!
  • Buses, cars, trains, lorrys, aeroplanes, tractors; if it's got wheels, he is obsessed. He literally spends all his days shouting out names of transport and making car noises, which is actually adorable, our house is being taken over by transport themed toys and books! His imaginative play has suddenly really kicked in, watching him playing in his room makes my heart feel like it might burst.
  • Running - this kid can run and run and run and run and when you think he might stop, he wont he will run some more. The look on his face when he is running is so cheeky, like a gold retriever that's been inside for a month!
  • Chilling, Fred is very boisterous, on the go all the time, he literally never stops but he also loves to relax and chill out. Must take after his Mama! He loves to snuggle up with his million 'muzzys' (Muslins) under his blanket and watch films, his favourite currently being Pudsey the Movie! he also loves to have quiet time and read books, he loves to pretend he can read which is hilarious. 
  • Swimming, starting swimming lessons at 5 weeks old was the best decision, he is such a water baby and has started using armbands and jumping in from the side! he is getting so good at kicking his legs too, wont be long before I will be able to let go! 
  • Adventures and Exploring - He really is never happier than when he is with Mama and Daddy exploring new places.  He loves the outdoors and I just love seeing him out exploring the big wide world.  His new favourite thing is looking for ants! 
  • Animals - second to transport is 'animools'! He loves playing with his Noahs ark and farm, and adores going to the farm, never seen a bigger smile in my life than when we took him to Godstone, Pigs are his favourite and his chicken noise is really impressive.

 


As usual I have rambled and I am worried this sounds like a brag fest, I promise it isn't, we have awful days too, believe me.  But every day since Freddie was born I have doubted myself as a mum, worried about whether I am doing enough, if I am teaching him enough, stimulating his mind and imagination and sitting down and writing about my 18 month old has been so good. Actually I am doing alright, our boy is thriving, and maybe i'm a pretty good mum after all.  Maybe all the worrying is what pushes me to be a better mum.

I still can't believe this wonderful, kind and caring boy is ours. Ours to keep forever.  He is so affectionate, he loves to cuddle me, and kiss me.  He kisses his toys and gives them drinks, When I do my blood sugar he strokes me and says 'hi mama' when he sees me using my needles.  He is so perceptive and already knows how to take my blood sugar levels, which is beyond incredible.  I hate the thought I will ever need him to help me, but it wont be long before, should I need looking after, he will be able to help me, although this makes me so proud, it makes me so sad too.


He shows so much affection to his family too, to all his grandparents, his aunties and uncles and cousins. He really is such a happy little boy, we are so very blessed.

what were your little ones up to at 18 months? Thank you for reading this very long post!





"Dear my darling little Freddie William, 

Thank you for bringing sunshine to my life for 18 whole months. I can never begin to explain the happiness you bring to Daddy and I. We love you so very much, too the moon, round the stars and back again. 

Love Mummy xx"


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading my latest post! I would love to hear all your comments, or you can email me at mrpbabyandme@gmail.com or facebook me, tweet me... whatever takes your fancy!